So, I was in the mood for something a little different. I thought I would sew outside of my usual style, so I grabbed a copy of Vogue 8813 (A Marcy Tilton pattern) and gave it a whirl.
It calls for a fabric with a lot of drape, so I ordered a linen gauze from fabricmart, but it turns out this particular gauze is kind of stiff. I thought about it, and decided to go for it anyway.
This pattern is waaaaaaay out of the usual for me, but I kind of really dig it. It seems like a fall dress to me, so I won't be wearing it for awhile, but I think it will look cute with leggings and a sweater.
It was super fun and pretty easy to sew. The construction was unlike anything I had ever made before, so I just followed instructions and had no problems. The sizing runs a little big, so I went with the garment measurements to pick my size. I would have no idea how to adjust the pattern for fitting, but the upper side seams can be brought in and the width of the gathering in front can be fiddled with for a better fit. I accidentally tossed the piece that tells you how wide the gathering is supposed to be, so I just messed around until I came up with something I liked. (4 inches for me.) The gathering is done by zigzagging over perl cotton, which I did not have, so I used embroidery floss instead. Worked just fine for me (and gave me the idea for the French knots. Which you know I love.) I don't think I need another one of these, but this was enjoyable to make, and I bet it's going to be fun to wear.